As a member of the CSM Software Librarian team, the Consultant shall support the technical administration and maintenance of the various facility Intel-based computer hardware platforms, Windows operating systems and configurations of the software installations. The duties shall range from technical support to the continuous operation of the system, including problem analysis, investigation, resolution and definition of maintenance procedures, to the support of procurement of hardware, software and the co-ordination with external providers of maintenance services.
The following activities shall be performed:
In particular the tasks include:
• Support to the administration, maintenance and smooth running of 24/7 operational computer systems (Intel x86-based computers running Microsoft Windows 2003 and 2008 server and Windows XP/7) by monitoring and tuning the operating system, hardware, network performance and in the case of anomalies, identifying and applying appropriate first line corrective actions.
• Investigation into and implementation of suitable solutions to problems with facility Hardware (H/W) , Networks, the Windows Operating Systems (OS S/W), relevant applications software (S/W) and Commercial Off The Shelf software products (COTS).
• Ensuring that in the case of H/W, OS S/W, S/W, network and/or COTS problems, then the operational configuration can be restored.
• Investigation into relevant anomalies and enhancements, their documentation and classification, with suitable follow up of the delivery of software updates.
• Implementation and management of suitable backup and restore strategies (to include definition and execution of suitable backup/restore procedures).
• Liaison with external providers of H/W, OS and/or COTS for the request and follow up maintenance interventions.
• Packaging, Centralized Installation, configuration and tuning of OS S/W/COTS and system parameters to optimize performance.
• Analysis, planning and execution of H/W, OS S/W and COTS upgrades and reconfigurations (taking into account any compatibility issues)
• Administration of user accounts and software licences.
• Set-up, maintenance and performance of an appropriate level of security, both at host and network level.
• Analysis of the maintenance requirements and identification, procurement or implementation of the tools to fulfil them.
• Support to other areas and teams in the maintenance department as requested.
• Definition, creation and management of technical documentation and procedures in support of these activities.
• Participation in technical meetings and reviews.
• Provision of standby/call out support to operations.
• Provision of support to critical operations out of normal hours, as required.