LSE Space is looking for an experienced Engineer (m/f) in order to fulfill the duty of
System Operations Engineer
for our customer EUMETSAT in Darmstadt/Germany.
The primary responsibilities of this role will be:
As a member of RSO, the Key Person shall provide support to the mission performance of
the MSG Ground Segment and the EPS Overall Ground System (‘OGS’), as well as their
evolution, as well as to the future programmes. Main duties will include the support to:
· System operations in a real-time operations environment;
· End-to-end operations monitoring;
· User messaging systems configuration and operation;
· Configuration of event monitoring and end-to-end monitoring systems;
· Monitoring infrastructure configuration and operation;
· Multi-mission element and infrastructure operations;
· Mission Performance System Evolutions for existing and new programmes:
The role comprises a range of tasks including the provision of support to the routine
operation of the LEO & GEO ground segments, as well as their evolution to include new
programmes and system operations.
The Key Person will be responsible for the definition and/or maintenance of the routine
operations procedures pertaining to mission performance operations and the interfaces of the
key systems within the ground segment, in accordance with the established EUMETSAT
Operations Department configuration management and quality assurance practices.
As part of the operations evolution, the key person will be responsible for the re-design and
evolution of the mission performance systems to support existing and new programmes.
The Key Person will acquire and maintain a System-wide view of the MSG System, and the
EPS CGS and OGS, particularly in the areas of system end-to-end monitoring & control and
The Key Person will review any planned changes to the mission performance system
configurations for LEO and GEO ground segments, and support the investigation of
anomalies encountered through the routine system and ground segment operations.
The Key Person will provide support to the development and operations preparation for
recurrent satellites in existing operational programs (e.g. Metop-C and MSG-4), and for
future operational programs now in development (including Sentinel-3, MTG and EPS-SG).
The key person will interface with project teams on the implementation of system upgrades to
support major operations projects, including System Mid-Term Evolution Plan, recurrent
satellites, and any System hardware and operating system obsolescence upgrade.
The Key Person will perform the following routine operations tasks:
· Definition and maintenance of system operations procedures, including System and
ground segment procedures and operations guides;
· Liaison with the spacecraft operations team to ensure the continuity and optimisation of
spacecraft monitoring and control activities;
· Liaison with the ground segment facility operations teams and system operations
analysts to ensure the continuity and optimisation of ground segment and mission
operations (through procedure and operations guide updates, configuration changes,
database or user interface changes etc.);
· Support to the definition of the Operations Service Specification;
· Interface with the systems maintenance teams and industry representatives to ensure
optimised performance, including participating in the definition and implementation of
any changes to the mission performance systems;
· Provision of support to operational ground segment analyses;
· Provision of stand-by/on-call support as system operations engineer, on an “as needed”
basis. This will be coordinated through the normal on-call process;
· Provision of support, as required, to critical operations;
· Processing of mission performance related system anomalies, their documentation,
investigation, classification and resolution/mitigation, including participation in
Anomaly Review Boards;
· Participation in technical meetings, formal reviews, and scheduling and planning
· Processing of system modifications, including their documentation, approval, and
implementation, including participation in Change Review Boards;
· Support to, and participation in, the functional verification and operational validation of
mission performance system upgrades and evolutions, both standalone and in the context
of an overall ground segment;
· Liaison with various department and divisions within EUMETSAT (CM, QA,
Management, Product Experts, User Services);
· Provision of training, through written materials, practical demonstrations and
presentations, to other members of the Operations Team.
The tasks assigned to the Key Person will be agreed through dedicated work-packages with
clear identification of activities and outputs expected.