LSE Space is looking for an Engineer (m/f) in order to fulfil the duty as STRATOS Flight Controller within the Columbus mission at DLR in Oberpfaffenhofen/Germany.
The STRATOS position is responsible for monitoring the performance of the Columbus systems (EPDS, TCS, ECLSS) and commanding. The COLUMBUS emergency, Warning, Caution and Saving (EWACs) functions as, e.g. smoke detection, fire suppression and other safety related issues, are monitored by STRATOS. STRATOS performs real-time coordination and supports the resolution of Columbus system-to-payload interface anomalies.
Furthermore STRATOS is responsible for on-line monitoring and control of the Columbus DMS hardware and software. STRATOS also monitors the performance of the Columbus software, and controls the execution of the system software programs. STRATOS will additionally perform on-board software management, including the uplink and on-board loading and exchange of software modules and data files. STRATOS routine task is to monitor Columbus DMS. STRATOS additionally performs analysis and diagnostics leading to saving actions based on available procedures when needed. This position is responsible for command execution for all Columbus on-board systems.
The STRATOS is responsible for the on-line monitoring and control of the Columbus Video and Data Processing Unit (VDPU), High Rate Multiplexer (HRM), and other communications equipment. STRATOS provides Columbus end-to-end communications oversight and ensures the on-board communications reconfigurations are implemented in accordance with the planned timelines. STRATOS coordinates on-board Columbus packet selection and any changes to the Data Management Plan. STRATOS also coordinates the Columbus VDPU configuration in support of all payloads in Columbus.
The main tasks of the position will be:
The STRATOS Flight controller position on-console main tasks are:
· Executes all daily operations work related to the Columbus on-orbit operations for Thermal Control (TCS), Environmental Control (ECLSS) and Electrical Power Distribution (EPDS) distributed systems, by performing the following tasks:
· Responsible for monitoring the performance of TCS, ECLSS and EPDS
· Responsible for exchanging important information and providing operations information of the Columbus systems
· Coordinates on resource management, monitoring and control of the system to payload interface to the International Payload Standard Racks (ISPR)
· Performs EWACS functions like smoke detection, fire suppression and other safety related issues are in the responsibility of the Columbus Systems position
· Responsible for the on-line monitoring and control of the Columbus DMS hardware and software
· Monitors the performance of the Columbus software, and controls the execution of the system software programs
· On-board software management, including the uplink and on-board loading and exchange of software modules and data files
· Responsible for the on-line monitoring and control of the Columbus VDPU, HRM, and communications equipment (Video Cassette Recorder (VCR), Video Camera Assembly (VCA), Video Monitor (VMN))
· Provides Columbus end-to-end communications oversight
· ensures that on-board communications reconfigurations are implemented in accordance with the planned timelines
· monitors remote site commanding for link or command handling problems
· Preparation of hand over report
STRATOS is preparing all operational products that are needed to execute the above mentioned tasks e.g. procedures (Operational Data File (ODF), Joint Operational Interface Procedures (JOIP); Flight Control Operations Handbook (FCOH), Operational Interface Procedures (OIP)), Flight Rules, monitoring limits and command files, displays, Mission Flight Data Base (MFDB) and planning inputs.