LSE Space is looking for an experienced Engineer (m/f) in order to fulfill the duty of
Ground Segment System and MME Engineering Support
for our customer EUMETSAT in Darmstadt/Germany.
The position will be covering expert support in several system engineering areas and disciplines covering requirements, architectural design and detailed definition of ground segment subsystems, addressing their functions, performance, interfaces and operations.
The key person will support engineering activities defining the ground segment for the Jason- CS system. It is important to note that Jason-CS is an optional programme at EUMETSAT and its implementation beyond the ongoing prospective activities estimated to last up to mid- 2015 is pending the approval of the associated programme proposal by the EUMETSAT Member States and the programme entry into force at the end the subsequent subscription period. Therefore, the Jason-CS related tasks described in the SOW including any activity beyond the prospective activities and the validity of the subsequent contract provisions are conditioned to the approval of the programme.
The following activities shall be performed:
The Key person will carry out tasks which support activities related to two different phases in the life cycle of EUMETSAT systems. They will correspond to Phase B (Architectural and Preliminary Design) of a given programme under definition and development (i.e. Jason-CS) in the area of ground segment engineering and architecture, and Phase C/D (Detailed design and Development) of the designs and developments of Multi-Mission components (approached as evolutions of existing operational systems to adapt them to the needs identified by programmes under development). The ground segments of EUMETSAT programmes consist of TTC and payload acquisition ground stations, mission management and control systems, data processing for products generation and archiving facilities, data dissemination facilities and the associated network fabric elements supporting data distribution and circulation. The Consultant will perform typical system engineering activities such as:
• Requirements engineering, which consists in functional and performance analysis for
justification and validation, requirement allocation, and refinement and maintenance of
the requirements baseline;
• Design, conceptual build and configuration which results in a physical architecture,
described by its complete functional, physical and software characteristics;
• System analysis, which is performed for the purpose of resolving requirements conflicts,
decomposing and allocating requirements, assessing system effectiveness;
• Performance of trade studies for assessing effectiveness, risk, cost and planning;
Planning for integration and verification, which final objective is to demonstrate that the
deliverables conform to the specified requirements.
In support of Phase B:
- Support the generation, refinement, management and maintenance of the GS system
requirements in its Ground Segment Requirements Document, including analysis of
the system level requirements and design, requirements tracing and justification;
- Support the refinement and maintenance of the ground segment functional model;
- Support the definition of the Ground Segment architecture addressing the overall
design of the ground segment system and its physical elements, including the GS
deployment view, and generation of the associated architectural design
- Perform analyses (architectural trade-offs, technical budgets, design to cost and risk
analyses) to ensure completeness and coherence of the design for all aspects related to
system engineering, and contribute to the GS design justification and GS Technical
- Support to the decomposition of the GS System into procurement elements including
allocation of requirements and functions from GS system level, and contribution to
the element level requirements, especially requirements common to all elements;
- Support the identification and definition of GS external interfaces, and internal
interfaces between the different GS elements, and their documentation in ICDs;
- Support the generation of IV&V related concepts and documents, including
integration and verification plans and preliminary verification control documents.
In support of Phase C/D:
- Support the completion of the detailed design of multi-mission components ,
including analyses (architectural trade-offs, system technical budgets, risk analyses) to
ensure completeness and coherence of the design for all aspects related to system
- Support the management and maintenance of the requirements baseline and MME
Service Definition, including for changes, deviations and waivers and evaluation of
impact on element baselines;
- Support to MME component level activities, especially review of components
designs, ensuring coherency and consistency between the elements supporting the TASKS services;
- Support to finalisation and subsequent maintenance of the MME interfaces with the
components of the ground segments architecture;
- Support to studies (internal or external) and the evaluation of their results, and related
engineering proposals for the ground segment detailed design;
- Support to the performance of elements design for internally developed elements;
- Support to preparation of the ground segment system and constituent parts assembly,
integration and verification detailed planning.
- Support to the preparation of, and participation in, phase reviews.
- Participation in reviews and meetings at system, ground segment system and element
- Support to the preparation and maintenance of schedule, resource allocations and work breakdown structures for the GS system engineering activities.