LSE Space is looking for an experienced Engineer (m/f) in order to fulfill the duty of
Desktop Engineering Consultancy Support
for our customer EUMETSAT in Darmstadt/Germany.
The position will support the Corporate ICT function that refers to the Information and Communication Technology systems, services and infrastructure, which are employed by EUMETSAT for support of its administrative activities. This environment is distinct from the one used for the operation of satellites or distribution of data products. The corporate ICT environment supports the generic office computing needs of EUMETSAT. It does not support any of the satellite control and operations activities nor satellite product generation and distribution, which are based on a separate, dedicated infrastructure.
The major elements of the EUMETSAT corporate ICT environment are:
• the user desktops/laptops and standard office applications
• the data centre: (MS file & print servers, MS Windows application servers);
• the Email and GroupWare System (MS Exchange 2007);
• the network infrastructure (LAN) including network security and Internet connectivity.
The clients are MS-Windows 7 desktop and notebook systems running MS-Office 2007 professional plus additional COTS applications.
The clients are deployed using Windows Deployment Services and software is distributed using ZENworks Configuration Management 11 ZCM. There are about 80 networked printers and combined printer/copiers, mainly from Ricoh.
The following activities shall be performed:
• prepare, validate and execute the deployment of Windows 7 desktop systems using Microsoft Deployment Services;
• prepare, validate and execute the distribution of software applications and upgrades to desktops using the ZENworks Configuration Management 11 Software Distribution system;
• prepare, validate and execute the distribution of software patches using WSUS;
• monitor and report on software license usage, maintaining the software license inventory;
• operate and maintain the antivirus management infrastructure based on Symantec Endpoint Protection; ensure that all systems are having the latest virus patterns;
• analyse users needs and provide input for the procurement of software applications or for upgrading the existing ones;
• provide second and third level user and technical support for user applications and desktops;
• contribute to the procurement of licenses by providing specifications and performing price inquiries, as well as act as interface with software suppliers regarding procurement, warranty and maintenance issues;
• maintain a verification and validation environment to verify and validate software updates and roll-outs;
• maintain system design and operations documentation.
• In the performance of these tasks, the key person shall apply the ICT working practices for:
o quality management;
o configuration and change control;
o system operations and maintenance.