For our customer, EUMETSAT in Darmstadt, Germany, we are seeking an experienced System Engineer to support the forthcoming EPS-SG (European Polar System - Second Generation) Earth observation mission.
EUMETSAT is an intergovernmental public sector organisation whose primary objective is to establish, maintain and exploit European systems of operational meteorological satellites and to contribute to the operational monitoring of the climate and the detection of global climate changes. A further objective of EUMETSAT is to provide data, products and support services to the European Copernicus information services and user communities, with a focus on marine, atmosphere and climate.
You will be supporting the EUMETSAT’s Low Earth Orbit Division (LEO) in the field of system engineering. You will be contributing to the phase C/D system engineering activities related to the specification, design and development of the EPS-SG system with focus on satellite and operational related aspects within the system. Your tasks will primarily include overall system aspects involving the space segment (satellites) and the ground segment, consisting of data acquisition systems, monitoring and control systems, as well as data processing facilities and product dissemination facilities.
Typical activities to be undertaken are:
Contribute to general system engineering activities:
- Analysis and trade off activities;
- Preparation and maintenance of system technical specification;
- Documentation of system design and justification;
- Ad hoc internal reviews;
- System level formal reviews;
- Ground segment level activities as required;
- Support IV&V activities.
- Ensuring that operational aspects (from operations concept etc.) are adequately reflected in the system technical specifications and design;
- Provide input and support to the customisation of the Packet Utilisation Standard (PUS) specific to EPS-SG and documentation of the results;
- Provide input and support to the customisation of other satellite related ECSS standards;
- Maintain the system specification tree and baseline;
- Analyse new versions of lower level technical documents for coherence with system and incorporation into system baseline;
- Act as book captain for the System Requirements Document (SRD). Collating and analysing comments, proposed changes from internal and external reviews and
making recommendations on new/updated requirements;
- Maintain the traceability of system requirements to higher and lower level
specifications (using DOORs);
ICD design and maintenance:
- Implementation of any changes to the system model identified in order to aid the interface documentation;
- Coordination and definition of technical interfaces with the external partners and service providers;
- Organise/hold meetings and workshops with external and major internal interface partners to establish interface details/agreements;
- Generate and maintain the system Interface Control Documents (ICD).
Maintenance of the EPS-SG system level model using the Vitech CORE modelling tool:
- Ensuring the model is up to date with any system level changes/evolution especially in the area of interfaces;
- Configuration control and documentation of the system model;
- Update of the model with respect to interfaces at system level;
- Co-ordination with the ground segment for model updates to ensure consistency between system/ground segment.